Thursday, May 01, 2008

Return to the Blogosphere

About a year ago I began this grand project. I had noble intentions of writing something every single week, and channeling my hordes of stray thoughts into one unified purpose, away from their sporadic migrations to random scraps of paper. It was going to be a great blog, one of the best in the Whole Wide World™. There were going to be comments on everything, from current news to developments in the field of Weapons Grade Literary Theory and my very own plans for World Domination.


Alas, this did not come to pass. A great shadow of quietness fell upon my blog. This was not a first: countless online forums and email correspondences have fallen prey to my spontaneous silences over the years.


But I have decided that this year will be different. What with my upcoming temporary migration to London and the adventures that will follow, there will be ample material for my Explorer’s Journal and consequences aplenty if I don’t update my family on my doings.


In other words, it is time to return to the grand literary tradition begun with the Exciting Episodes of My Amazing Australian Adventure. So first, before I (re)turn to regular updates, here is a quick recap on the Year That Was.


In the last year I have, in no particular order: Organized my fourth and last Wits Pillow Fight, talked my way out of a speeding ticket armed with only a Granola bar, succumbed to the cult of Literary Theory and fought my way free again, traveled to England and discovered half my matric class lurking there, sailed down France’s SaĆ“ne River with the family, invaded Japan with my younger brother, fended off many ninja (but not turtle) attacks, convinced several unsuspecting innocents that I was a professional porcupine tamer for the Canadian special forces, procrastinated many important things, contemplated going commando for a week (an endeavour subsequently deterred by countless zipper horror stories), met a passionate Australia-denialist who to this day remains unconvinced by my subjective experiences of that antipodean nation’s geography, done battle with the university’s notorious Oracle System and its administrative ninjas, written many fragments of blogposts that never made it past the barrier between the Offline Realms and Great Interweb let alone cohered into an unified whole, finished my English Literature Honours degree, escaped student politics alive if not unscarred, went to the LeChaims (engagements) of two good friends in the space of a single fortnight, gone to the first wedding in my immediate circle of friends and seen many of my contemporaries taken “under new management”, taken up the Brazillian martial art of Capoeira and passed my first grading, interned at Pan Macmillan, gone to the inaugural Johannesburg Art Fair and been suitably impressed, eaten a sandwich, met certain little cousins for the first time, done many things which hid from my attempts to remember them, played reverse strip Uno and written one massive sentence, extended by shady and unethical applications of comma use.


Amazing what can be squeezed into a single paragraph, isn’t it?


In the year to come, I shall venture forth to the great Sunless Northlands, wellspring of the English language, for over a year in my quest for adventure before circumnavigating the entire planet to see for myself whether The Rest Of The World™ actually exists. Rest assured, I shall inform you all of my findings.


For now, I leave you, my loyal readers (yes, all three of you) with no promises of writing every single week regardless of whether I have anything worthwhile to say, but only an almost-promise that I will be more prolific this year.


May you all be blessed with an adventurous 2008, or what's left of it!

No comments: